Tuesday 17 May 2011

SIR PATRICK MOORE

Drawn with graphite pencil and acrylic paint

Sir Patrick Moore our own famous astronomer and presenter of 'The Sky at Night', a job which put him proudly in the Guiness book of records as the longest serving presenter. He is greatly admired for his devotion to raising money for hundreds of charities, which he does from his own home in Selsey, by organising garden parties to raise money.
I am very lucky as a member of my family is actually friends with him and lives just round the corner from his house. I thought it would be fantastic if I could show Mr Moore my portrait of him and get him to sign it for me.  I asked sue (my relation) if she would mind taking it round to his house, she very kindly agreed and asked me to send the picture via e-mail to her, which I did. She dropped it round at his house and she received a phone call inviting her round to see him, as he really liked the picture and he wanted to discuss it with her. She went round the following day and he actually said that his advice to me would be to make myself a portfolio and take it to The Royal College of Art to begin with and any other major college as he thinks they would gladly accept me, with the talent I have. I was trully shocked and extremely flattered by his response, it was totally unexpected. I am hoping to hear from Sue in the next few days as she went to Mr Moores recent garden party on Sunday, where she was going to ask him to hold my signed picture and take a photograph, which she will then send to me.  So watch this space!!!
I wanted to draw Mr Moore because he is also a classic example of a man who has aged gracefully and even though he has been in the public eye for so many years, he has obviously not felt any pressure to roll back the years with the help of surgery and you have to admire him for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment